Sewing lesson
Brityn received her first sewing lesson from Grandma Stream. Notice the calm serene atmosphere. This is nothing like the way it went when this dear mother of mine tried to teach me how to sew. Of course, I wasn't a willing participant. Even when MC Hammer pants were being whipped out on that machine at a neck breaking pace, I stood my ground. Even when my poor mother marched me down the street to "Seamstress Pam's" house for sewing lessons (which were more like a boot camp), I fought it. And even when I picked out a colorful jungle print to make my very own shorts out of.....okay, I did actually make the shorts. But, the crotch hung half way to my knees and the elastic was so tight it caused a blousant effect. It made my 12 year old hips look like those of a sturdy pioneer woman 3 or 4 times my age. Ill fitting doesn't really begin to describe.
I'm not a perfectionist by any means. There is no "about" a half an inch in sewing, or rounding up and down, or any of those things that are a part of my daily routine.
My grandmother was and my mother is a great seamstress. One year for Christmas, my sisters and I were all made beautiful matching pajama and robe sets. Blankets and quilts, dresses and outfits. The list goes on. Ask me now if I could take back all the times my mom tried to teach me to sew? Absolutely. Also all the naps I refused to take, thank you very much.

2 comments:
Sounds like my experience with sewing! Let's hope Brittyn ends up with a more positive experience than we had! Love her short hair!
I can always count on you for a good laugh. Cute pictures of mom and Brityn together. I'm sure mom loved teaching someone that really wanted to learn.
Post a Comment