Tuesday, December 15, 2009

No Sew? No problem

So, I finally broke down and did it.  I made stockings.  We have only had 4, dollar store stockings for our 5 family members since Brityn was born.  After Boston was born, we just hung 3 stockings for the kids.  So this year I decided to just get my hands dirty and whip some up.  There is this *magical* stuff called fabric glue.  If you have not heard of this, it will change your life.  So, a few IKEA dish towels, some plaid fabric that I had on hand,  a few extra trimmings I got at Hobby Lobby and these stockings were born.  Seriously, I'm very craft challenged, so if I can do this ANYONE can.

  The only downside to this whole topic was when I mentioned to my mom (who is a fabulous seamstress & has a life long dream of myself sewing something.  Anything.  Even getting my sewing machine out and threading it would be sufficient), that I had made stockings:

Mom: "Oh honey, really?  You finally got that machine out?"
Tiff:  "Well, I actually used fabric glue."
*Mom then clenches and sucks air through her teeth.  You know like when you watch someone take a really hard hit.
Mom:  "Next time you are down, we really need to have a sewing lesson."

I think she considers it cheating.  I say why take the long way around?  Potato, Potahto.
 

6 comments:

Kinsey Pistorius said...

lol! those look great! I love the colors you chose and it makes me feel not so bad for not having ordered Dilan a stocking yet! :)

LeAnn said...

They look beautiful Tiff! Glue sticks so much better than thread:)

Amber Staub said...

They turned out so cute. I love all the trimmings!

Heather said...

I am right there with you Tiffany! I would LOVE to be able to sew, but never learned and don't know if I ever will. They are still way cute and handmade- definately not cheating.

Behling Family said...

That is so funny.. I can just see that whole scenerio playing out! I was laughing so hard because that was a perfect description of her reaction. Bless her heart she would just like us all to be able to sew even something. She tries often while I am over there when she is mending something to have me watch and learn. I do love the stocking. They look awesome! So creative.

Stacy said...

When I move I need you to come decorate my house your AweSomE!