Tuesday, March 4, 2008

What a trip (in every definition of the word)!


Many people think I volunteer in my children's classes because I am a good mom, or because I need to stay connected to my children, or because I have loads of free time to do so. NOPE! I do it because the kids are hilarious; sheer entertainment I tell ya. Let me just give you an example. I helped chaperone a field trip to the space and science center this past week. Here are some of the highlights:


1. Samantha and Haley became involved in a heated exchange that stemmed from Haley giving Samantha "bunny ears" without her knowledge. This escalated until one of the girls shouted, "Oh, yeah? Well, I don't go to church!" An audible collective gasp was heard from all within earshot, I kid you not. Them's fightin' words in this hare town missy!

2. The following riddle was told to me by Blake who sat behind me: What has a phone but doesn't talk on it? I had no clue and after several attempts to answer ( I was given exactly 4 tries) I asked for the correct answer which Blake was still trying to come up with himself. "Uhhhh... a mole, no, no, no, wait....an alligator!!" Of course.

3. A rousing game of "hide the lunch box" which I somehow became involved in. Some of the hiding places were more conspicuous than others. (See above picture of Corbin's friend Zander)

4. The bus driver trying to pass off eating on the bus as the "fun part" of the trip. The kids were really rushed through the exhibits because of the horrible weather headed our way. We had to just pack up and head home. Some were in tears because they did not get to ride the "spaceship simulator", which was very similar to the coin operated Clifford ride at Walmart. As her special way of consoling them, she says over her CB (like everyone can't hear her without it), "Kids, we have a special treat today." I'm thinking, "Special treat?...yes please." She continues, "We are going to be allowing you to eat.....ON THE BUS!" Complete silence. I could hear little crickets in the background followed up by an uncomfortable laugh from her as that clearly wasn't how she pictured that going over. Darn it. Thanks for trying Bus Lady.

5. There were 2 boys sitting behind 2 girls. One little boy leaned forward into the crack between the seat and the window and said, "Haley, you complete my heart." Both girls said, "EEEEWWWWWW!" The little boy was clearly elated with this response.

6. Blake (the little riddler that sat behind me) told me maybe he could get my number sometime. I think this had to do with little else other than me "getting" his joke. It's rare to find people who really "get you".

It was a blast! The best part was Corbin thanking me for coming with him and him telling me that he was glad I was there with him. I wouldn't miss it for the world sweetie!

7 comments:

Adri and Cory said...

That is so funny. Sounds like YOU had a really good time. I bet it was quite the adventure. I can't wait for those days.

Behling Family said...

That sounds like fun. Sounds like those kids are hilarious. Like Wad said I cannot wait until for those days as well. Im sure eveyone thinks that Corbin has a way cool mom. That was so cute of him to tell you thanks for going, that makes everything worth it.

Amanda said...

That is really funny! I can't wait to volunteer for the field trips that Jonah goes on (okay, I know that is a long way off, so I will live vicarious through you for now). I bet all the little boys had a crush on you! haha so cute

Moke said...

I think this exact example of why I love working with kids. I think they are so funny and some of the answers they come up with to some of the questions you give them are so funny. It gives you an insight on how they think. I love it!

Kasey and Broden said...

Wow! I need to come and help with Corbins class! It feels like I have not seen you forever! We need to do lunch and catch up! Call me so we can plan a date.

Amber Staub said...

Thanks for the good laugh. I think it's so cute that kid asked for your number. I agree with Aut. I'm sure the word on the street is...Corbin, you're mom is so cool!! Way to go Tiff.

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! You're so funny! I'm really glad there are mom's like you on the bus. I personally avoid the field trip bus at all costs! "Yes, I can chaperone...but I'll have to follow you in my own car...is that OK?" It's has something to do with the noise, crying, bus motion, even the pointless jokes - I can't handle it - probably why I could only work at the school for 1year. I'm surprised I made it that long!