Since we do not have a "mud room" (because our laundry room is upstairs), I have been struggling with ideas on how to contain and organize: backpacks, shoes, papers to and from school, etc. We have a rather open entry, but a coat closet the size of a shoe box! My dream house has mud room/craft room/laundry room the size of my master bedroom, but until then I must improvise. This closet in our kitchen, which has been a storage room, seemed like the perfect spot for a mud room. So........

I found things around the house we already had and transformed this little closet into a mud room/organization station! The wicker baskets hold winter gear, and rain gear. The trunk is going to be shoe storage.

This coat hook that used to be in our entry holds jackets and hats.
I hung this desk organizer on the wall and labeled an in box and an out box for each of the kids. My goal is to have them put all the papers from school that I need to see in the in box. Any papers I have signed, or notes that need to go back to school I will put in their out box. I also hung a dry erase calendar in there so that they can keep track of their own schedules and know what to expect for the day/week, etc. Each kid is assigned a different color: Brityn/pink, Corbin/green, Boston/orange, and I am blue. I hope this keeps us more organized!

13 comments:
Tiff,
Well "MOTHER OF ORGANIZATION", it looks pretty great to me. A place for everything and everything in it's place. The baskets you got and put up on the shelves for all the KIDS stuff, are working out soooooo good. No one leaves until they look in their basket. So much better than having little bags everywhere waiting for them to find and take. Can you came back soon and finish organizing the rest of the house?????? I need you to plan on about 2 or 3 weeks. That should just about do it.
Hey tiff, that room looks great. And it looks like that is exactly what it was made for in the first place. I think it is a good idea. oh, and i was wondering how things are still going with the vegetarian diet? Did you all do away with that as soon as Kevin found out what was missing from his diet? lol
I vagely suggested that we would no longer continue, but I have been. We only eat meat usually 2 times a week for dinner. He doesn't notice as long as I don't draw attention to it. He usually has meat for lunch anyway, and the kids usually have meat for lunch a few times a week as well. What he doesn't know, in this case, only helps him! Not only has it cut our grocery bill, but it's healthier too! I have just made sure they get their protein in other ways: Peanut Butter, Nuts, Yogurt, Eggs, Beans, etc. Don't get me wrong, we all still eat and love meat. But, I just don't think we need it 2-3 meals a day!
Looks good I wish I could get my kids backpacks off the floor but in out small 1200 square foot house there is no room except outside.
Cute Tiffany! What a creative use of space - I love it!
Oh, I want a mud room someday too! We can dream, can't we? Anyway, I love your idea to use your closet - it looks good! You are just so smart Tiffany :)
Nice job Tiff! You are so good at that stuff! After mom's house I need you to come here. That is such good use of room.
That's my dream too - a laundry/mud room as big as my bedroom. I'm sure by the time we get around to remodeling it that way, our kids will be gone and we won't need it anymore. It looks like you're an amazingly organized mom! That's another dream I have- to get organized!!
Tiff,
That looks great! We do the color coordinated calendar at our house, too. It works brilliantly! Of course, as your kids get older, your calendar starts looking like a rainbow :c). You're so clever.
Jen
The closet looks great! I love the feeling of getting little project like that accomplished. It always makes me wonder why I waited so long to do them in the first place!!
Don't you just love the feeling of having everything in it's place. I miss those days! My one year old finds a way to destroy anything and everything. Your mom shared everyone's blog addresses with me so I have been spending my "free time" catching up on everyone's lives. Oh yeah this is your cousin Mandi.
Hey Mand!!! Thanks for commenting on my blog. Do you have one? If not you have to get one. That way I can keep up with you too!
OOPS! I totally forgot to put it with my post. http://www.tysonbryner.com/weblog. It still is a work in progress, I changed templates and lost all of my links.
Post a Comment