15 years ago
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Bubble Boy: Not for the faint of heart....or stomach.
Poor Bost....again with the head injuries. He was accidentally hit in the head with a metal bat while at a friends house. All kids were in tears as the fire truck showed up (they got real busy just as we called 911, and only had the firetruck to dispatch). 15 minutes later, the ambulance showed up. There were cops directing traffic. It was all a little much.
They decided we needed to take him to the ER. When I felt his injury, I could tell it was not good. On top of having a gash, it felt like an indent. We said prayer and then loaded him up in the ambulance. He called it a "police train". I was trying really hard to put on a brave face, but inside I was just sick with worry. The EMT's were evening discussing a possible transfer to Scottish Rite. More prayers in my heart. I knew at any moment (remember we have had 2 previous concussions, which means a greater likelihood of one) he was going to start to get drowsy and then start vomiting. We passed the half hour mark, and nothing. He was alert, no pupil dilation, coherent. I was beginning to see a miracle unfolding right before my eyes.
Kevin met us at the hospital. We were seen by Dr. Traveno, who was fabulous and soooo great with Boston. Watched Spongebob, Brain Surge, and iCarly, while we were waiting for the numbing stuff to kick in. We only have very basic cable, so Spongebob has been absent from our house for awhile. I crawled up on the bed with Boston and we watched together. The Dr. said no need for an Xray. Just 7 stitches. They started sewing, and Boston wasn't numb. They gave him 2 shots to numb him (this part was NOT fun) and then I held his hand while they sewed up his little head. I'm telling you this was a true miracle!! What I saw and heard right as the accident happened told me it was VERY serious!! I just knew it was going to be bad news. 7 stitches later, he was given an orange popsicle and we were on our way. Miracle.
He was up several times in the night, with a whopper of a headache, so he's taking the day off. I was supposed to help chaperon a field trip with Corbin's class today. He was really excited I was going, and told me this morning that he understood I couldn't go, and that he hoped Boston could get some good rest. Thankful for understanding kids, and for my good friend who watched, fed, bathed, and comforted my other two during the whole ordeal. We are very blessed.
I need a plastic bubble for this child. For real. Or a helmet. Or a helmet AND a bubble. Ugh....boys!
Posted by T at 5:38 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Gosh darn it Bosty! Looks like a bad one. It looks like he was pretty brave though.
Poor Bost. That's a bad one. I can't believe the number of hits to the head he has had! It truly is a miracle that he only came out with 7 stitches. Hope you get better soon Bost!!! MWahhhhh!
Post a Comment