

Something happens to my children when I bring out the camera. It's like they forget how to smile normal, and they get crazy eyes. I don't know what it is. Does everyone have this problem? When they are little, it's the deer in the headlights look, then we move into the straining smile where all the tendons in their little necks are showing. Then they start losing teeth. One of mine has been known to curl her top lip under to give you a better view of the missing tooth, while the other won't show teeth at all giving off a grin at best. If I ever post a picture of my children and it looks normal, rest assured I have spent a better part of my afternoon coaxing that out of them, teetering on the edge of a breakdown. By then I have broken into a sweat and I no longer remember why we were taking pictures in the first place. I hate to admit this, but once I got so desperate I shouted out the word "POOP!" All three broke into smiles and laughs at once. It was a small miracle. I guess it's just part of being little. I remember wearing my retainer in my 4th grade school pictures. It was the kind you had to bite down on. It was less than becoming, but I thought it was so cool and was sure it would only the enhance the picture. Dental devices were hard to come by, and those who were not lucky enough to have one used paper clips to create the illusion. I was going to make darn certain my posterity knew I was indeed one of the lucky ones. It is possible my children come by it rightfully.
12 comments:
That is too funny. I was one of the un-lucky ones I had to make my own with a paper clip and a Jolly Rancher! Ha ha dont ask how I came up with the combo! But it worked great.
I agree with the trying to get kids to smile part. It is always a fiasco when I get the camera out. I've been known to break out into spontaneous dance and they still look at me like...you want me to laugh at that? Oh well!
That's hilarious about your retainer. I remember fashioning some sort of cool retainer out of paperclips. I also remember Silas McArthur was one of the LUCKY ones and I was so jealous.
Is that you Tiff? It looks nothing like you. I seriously would never have guessed that is you!! The kids look darling...and looks like they are enjoying summer break! We can't wait...only 3 more days!
Hilarious! You always make me laugh! I too tried the paper clip retainer. I was also know to rub leaves on my eyelids for a lovely green eye shadow.
Oh my heck so funny! I couldn't wait to get my dental device(s). I however, used the thing that you used to have to take off the top of the milk. It was blue or green and didn't even look real but I thought it was cool!? I love the random things you write about! Keep it up.
I think you were right! It does make you look extra cool and smart! I once lied my way through an eye exam because I wanted glasses, so I went to an eye doctor and lied then too, but the problem was I forgot which part to lie about; left eye? Right eye? Close up? Far away? Needless to say I didn't get the glasses, but I did get a spankn'. I also once tried to put my mom's contact lenses in my eyes. They got stuck under my eyelids and a doctor had to fish them out. I got a spankn' then too.
Shannon! You win, hands down. That is so funny! I love your new picture, and very clever name.
I will admit that my mom made us stand in front of the mirror before picture day and practice smiling. She was there to offer helpful suggestions.
Now, whenever we have a babies photo shoot, we take a ton of pictures of the babies, but we make sure to take a few pictures of the moms' antics behind the scenes trying to make the kids smile. I love it. We look ridiculous.
But it makes me grin.
I might have to say AMAZING PICTURES:)We all have those lovely pictures of remembering those good days!
You crack me up!! I had head gear -hehehehe! I never wore it in public. There, I said it.
It's not just your kids...it's all kids. My mom has three generations of pictures (her, my brother, and my neice) with the no teeth grin. It's pretty funny. It gets easier when they are older :c). Your kids are adorable, though. You'll have to get these pictures out when they have kids doing this :c).
I too agree about the camara, and the trying to smile bit. I was there at preschool when it was picture day, and needless to say about 80% of the parents got pics of there kids doing the toothless smile. That is so funny about the retainer thing. I too was oneof the ones that fashioned my own retainer using a paper clip, that cut my gums to shreds and I still wore the stupid thing day after day. What were we thinking
Post a Comment