I am the laziest person when it comes to food storage. I don't want to rotate it, I don't want to use it, I just want to get it and then look at it. This is why I haven't been too good about getting started. BUT, I have finally decided it's time. Especially after this past week. I am starting out realistically. I'm not to the point where I'm going to grind my own wheat to make bread, or things of that nature, but I CAN store food we can eat right off the shelves. These are not things I would probably prepare on a weekly basis, but it's stuff I know my family will eat.
I am going to try and add to this shelf a little each month. I remember when I was young we had a whole room devoted to food storage. My mom attached a clipboard and a pencil to the back of the door, and when you took something from the shelves, it was to be checked out on the paper. That way she would know what to restock. So smart, that mom of mine! I think I am going to integrate that idea into my little stash somehow.


5 comments:
We have been trying to get motivated with the food storage as well. I love the clip board idea we just might have to do it as well. Walmart in our area has started to carry food storage stuff so we tried a dry milk product. I was a little skeptical because really dry milk is yucky but this brand is called Morning Moo's. Give it a try it really is quite impressive. It really is nice for those times when i realize at 10 at night we don't have milk for the morning. I usually let it sit for a day in the fridge and let it get nice and cold. I actually made three gallons before I told everyone that it wasn't our usual skim milk.
www.myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com
This is an awesome place to get really good ideas!!
Great job- BTW!!!!!
Tiff... you have made my day! Honestly... I have been horrible with the food storage thing... first (before we built) didn't have room to store it was the excuse. Then.. $$$... that was my excuse. When I read your blog today and saw that YOU (who I totally think has it all together) didnt' have a ton I felt so much better. I always tell people that if Chicken Noodle soup and Spagettios count as food storage I have it. My neighbor next door is amazing and has started helping me get things together and I know the "it's a start" feeling. You and I can just both pray really hard that we have a few more years. And Amen to the parents food storage. We call it a store. I still tell my mom that we will just be moving in with her if there is ever a problem. Good for you on getting started!
Good job. Yes, your mom is amazing in so many ways. In the Ensign maybe 2 or 3 months ago there was a great article about food storage and how to make it easier to swallow other than "get a year's supply of food." It made me actually think, I can do this! I am not really planned with it, but I do try to stockpile things that we use often.
Post a Comment