Wednesday, September 9, 2009

New



Well, it's official.  I am an empty nester....... M-Thursday from 9-12 a.m.  Still, I have 3 whole hours 4 days a week with no kids.  There have been many a day when I have been at my wits end with trying to cook dinner, tend to hungry kids, break up arguments, keep them entertained, attending to homework, dishes, laundry, bathrooms, cleaning, all while keeping my last nerve in tact and dreaming about the day when I would be in this place.  This last week I have been to every antique shop within a 20 mile radius of where I live.  Taking my time mind you.  Do I turn around and slightly panic because my little Boston is nowhere to be seen?  It's happened.  I then smile and pleasantly remember he is at school.  I have been to every store that has tons of breakables & untouchables with signs that read:

 "Parents, please keep an eye on your children.  We will hand out free puppies and lots of candy and sweets to unruly kids". 

 I chuckle to myself as I watch other parents that are not yet where I'm at.  As I watch them  struggle with and threaten little Billy, I give them the, "I feel your pain,  sister,  God speed" look.  I have treated myself to 3 for $1 McDonalds cookies without having to share. I have been able to run on the treadmill  without having to gasp for breath trying to answer a burning question or request from my son.  Trying to glance back at him over my shoulder while doing this is VERY dangerous and I have had some very close calls.  We will just leave it at that.  

So, after a week, do you know what I realized?  I'M LONELY!!  I miss my buddy.  I think I might be sort of depressed about it.  I have been like a kid in a candy shop, and now I have a belly ache.  I have decided that golf and possibly even tennis lessons are in store, and I AM going to learn to play the guitar for crying out loud.  I realized I am going to have to keep my mind occupied......with things other than shopping.  It's just that it's a whole new experience with no kids.  And that sums it up right there.  This experience is a new one, without kids, and I am slowly figuring it out.  Good luck to me.

10 comments:

Kinsey Pistorius said...

you are too funny! I can imagine at first it is such a luxury and then you just want your kids to be home with you and to enjoy them. Looks like Boston is enjoying school which is good!!!

Adri and Cory said...

Yes good luck with it! I have two more years so take good notes for me! I am sure you will find lots of new talents! And when you do finally learn how to play the guitar....you can fly down here and teach me!

Kelli said...

tiff, you are so hilarious! I know exactly how you feel. I really and truly get lonely without my boys at home. You would think I would have gobs of time for all kinds of fun things to do like shopping, but for some reason I am still so busy. But I really miss them and so I so feel your pain. Good luck. Enjoy it though, because when your youngest starts first grade it's even worse :(

Stevie and Meesha said...

lol...i am very sorry you are so lonely. Hopefully you can find that something that will keep your mind occupied:) I had to laugh when you said looking back while running the treadmill...I can only imagine:) I laughed picturing you almost having a major accident!

The Wride Family said...

lol.. you are so funny!!! It is crazy how fast they grow. When Kage and Kenlee goes to school it is just me and Kambree and she usally sleeps most of the time Kenlee is gone so it is quite around here. I think you should take golf lessons!!

Jessica said...

One of these days I will get there but not for a few years.... I love your way with words and look at cute Boston. He definitely looks like he is ready and eager to be at school! Enjoy... I can give that advise because there are many a days I wish I had even 1 hour of peace and quiet and alone time! And shopping... you know how to keep yourself busy! Good Luck!

courtnee said...

I have not kept in touch and so this one will be a long one. Hope you are ready? I feel for you, I am still lovin' my two hours a day that Sunny Day Preschool has Lukey and though I miss him I slowly feel my sanity coming back-I am Courntee again, I like that, I have been unable to treat myslef to any indulgences but so plan too and in all honesty I am sure that in a couple years when it goes to three hours or more a day I will be like you lonely lonely-Good luck to you and I think you are wise in those new lessons , I have always wanted to do tennis too, hey maybe we can both learn with this new time and play when you come home hee hee!

Anonymous said...

This is why I cry the first day of school every year! I miss my boys when they are gone...not enough to consider homeschooling mind you...I'm not that crazy! The first week is always the hardest...and then, trust me, you will find things to do! Maybe we could do coffee sometime! :)

Amber Staub said...

Cute post! Boston looks so excited to be going to school. I wish we could antique shop together. I need an antique shopping buddy, plus you have "the eye" Enjoy the cookies, I'm still sharing!

That girl said...

I feel no sympathy for you.